Re: Thanks for Your Reply. ( This is the correct e-mail )

>To: address@hidden
>From: address@hidden
>Subject: I Have Some Problems to Install netCDF-2.4.3.

Poshumn,

>       I tried to install netCDF-2.4.3 on a Dec Alpha 3000/300L workstation.
> The operating system is OSF1 V3.2. We are going to update the OS to V4.0.
> But it would still wait for a while. Is the current release of netCDF not
> supported on Dec Alpha OSF1 versions below V4.0 ?

The current release should still work on OSF1 V3.2, but we don't have a
3.2 platform on which to test it.

>       NetCDF was tried to be installed under a directory
> /mo/netcdf-2.4.3/ and some warnings and errors happened during the
> execution of the 'configure' script. Below are the process to execute
> 'configure' script and the config.log:

In what you sent, I don't actually see any errors.  The output of the
'configure' script looks fine.  We expect there will be errors in the
config.log file, because it contains all the detailed output from
attempts to determine properties of the environment, libraries, and
compilers, so that it can create the proper Makefiles.

For example, to determine whether the malloc() function is declared in
the <stdlib.h> include file, 'configure' tries to compile a little test
program that #includes <stdlib.h> and declares the malloc() function
again.  If a compile error results from the second declaration, that
means <stdlib.h> did have a declaration for malloc(), but it's not an
error in the configuration or installation.

> >configure
>
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for catman... catman
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /mo/netcdf-2.4.3
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /mo/netcdf-2.4.3
> checking for cc... cc
> checking type of operating system... osf1
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for f77... f77
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for g++... no
> checking for gcc... no

The above just mean no C++ compiler was found, which is OK.  It just
avoids trying to compile and test the C++ interface to netCDF, but will
still compile and test the C and Fortran interfaces.

> checking for yacc... yacc
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... cc -M
> checking for C position-independent-code compile-option...
> checking whether cross-compiling... no
> checking size of int... 4
> checking size of long... 8
> checking type of nclong... int
> checking endianess... little endian
> checking type of netlong... int
> checking type of internal netlong... int
> checking for XDR header-file... -I/usr/include/rpc
> checking for XDR library...
> checking for xdr_long in default library... yes
> checking XDR implementation... ok
> checking type pointed to by inline XDR function... netlong
> checking XDR structure xdr_ops for x_getint member... no
> checking which XDR module to use... xdrposix
> checking for function prototype... yeschecking for working const... yes
> checking for variadic function support... yes
> checking for strerror... yes
> checking compiler options for IEEE arithmetic... -ieee_with_inexact
> checking for size of block buffer... 8192
> checking for float.h... yes
> checking for stdlib.h... yes
> checking C header file <stdlib.h> for function malloc()... declared
> checking for package version... 2.4
> checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/alpha-osf1
> updating cache ./config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating Makefile
> creating xdr/Makefile
> creating libsrc/Makefile
> creating fortran/Makefile
> creating cxx/Makefile
> creating ncgen/Makefile
> creating ncdump/Makefile
> creating nctest/Makefile
> creating doc/Makefile
> creating port/master.mk
> creating port/Makefile
> creating libsrc/local_nc.h
> expanding `include's in file `Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `xdr/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `libsrc/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `fortran/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `cxx/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `ncgen/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `ncdump/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `nctest/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `doc/Makefile'
> expanding `include's in file `port/master.mk'
> expanding `include's in file `port/Makefile'

All the above look fine.

> (END)
>
> config.log
>
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.

We don't ordinarily expect users need to look at config.log.  It's just
for our use, as the above message at the start of the log indicates.

>       Please forgive me for the little experience to install
> softwares. Is there any severe problem ocurred ? Should I modify my
> environment setting ? Please let me know about it.

No, everything looks fine.

>       I noticed some libraries did be generated. But I am not sure if
> they are correct and complete ?

Apparently they are, because all the tests run by "make test" succeeded.
This shows that the current version of netCDF works with OSF1 V3.2.

You may still want to run "make install" to get the netCDF libraries,
include files, executables, and documentation copied into directories
from which they will be used.