960911: installing NetCDF: configure -- Not a command

Dear Sung-wha Shim,

In the above message you wrote:

> I use Sillicon Graphics Indigo2 IMPACT solid.
> And, OS is IRIX release 5.3.
>
> First, I read INSTALLATION file in netcdf-232p12 dir. which is
>  extracted from NETCDF.TAR.Z file.
> I proceeded with INSTALLATION.
>
> "Create the makefile via the 'configure' script"
> I tpyed 'configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf', but
> the output is 'configure -- Not a command'.
>
> What's wrong?
> I don't think that I understand that output.

It appears that your UNIX shell command interpreter couldn't find or
didn't want to execute the `configure' script.  Does it have the
`execute' mode bit on (e.g. the `x' in the following)

    -rwxrwxr-x   1 steve    usystem    77507 Aug  8 12:44 configure

Alternatively, you might not have the current directory (the directory
that contains the `configure' script) in you PATH environment variable.
Try invoking the `configure' script by explicitly specifying the
directory, e.g.

    % ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/netcdf

The `./' in the above indicates that the `configure' command is in the
current directory.

If you have further problems, then I suggest that you consult with
someone there who is familiar with UNIX (the problem you describe should
have a simple solution).

> Thank you to read this E-mail.
> I'm so sorry about my poor English.

Your English is much much better than my Mandarin.  ;-)

Please let me know if this helps.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>