Re: Problem with fortran interface under HP-UX

Dear Manuel Lopez,

In the above message you wrote:

> Dear Steve Emmerson:
>   Thanks for helping me. Many of the lines in the config.log file appear to
> be C compiler errors. Maybe they are not fatal errors. I am not familiar with
> C.

The file `config.log' contains error messages from tests that the
configure scripts runs in order to determine the features and
capabilities of your system; therefore, it should contain compiler
errors.  This is expected and does not indicate a problem.

> In any case there does appear to be a problem with the fortran
> interface.  The output of "make test" gives an error using the f77
> compiler. Apparently it does not understand the "-L../libsrc" option
> in compiling ftest. The -L option in HP-UX fortran is to generate a
> source code listing to standard output.

Try using the fort77(1) compiler -- it should correctly understand `-L'
options.  Do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Edit the file CUSTOMIZE: change `FC=f77' to `FC=fort77'.

    3.  Remove the file config.cache if it exists.

    4.  Execute the `configure' script.

    5.  Execute the command `make fortran/clean'.

    6.  Execute the command `make'.  Trap the output.

    7.  If the above fails, send me its output and stop here.

    8.  Execute the command `make test'.  Trap the output.

    9.  If the above fails, send me its output and stop here.

    10. Execute the command `make install'.  Trap the output.

    11. If the above fails, send me its output and stop here.

    12. Execute the command `make clean'.

> ...  Is there some kind of manual or documentation on
> who to use the netCDF library?

There's very little documentation on `who' uses the netCDF library.
There is, however, documentation on `how' to use it.  The user's guide
can be found in doc/guide.ps.  It's a PostScript file.  On-line
documentation is available at the following URL:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/index.html

Again thanks very much for your
> help. Sincerely,
>
>                                        Manuel Lopez

You're welcome.  Please let me know if this helps.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>