Re: netCDF xdr_ symbols

> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:42:24 -0600
> From: address@hidden (Aaron Lai)
> To: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Subject: netCDF xdr_ symbols

Hi Aaron,

>    I got a program from NCAR/CGD called 'gennet.for'.  They told me that
> after I compile it and link with netCDF library I will be able to excute
> it with input of the netCDF filename and get a FORTRAN program to read
> the netCDF file.
>
>    I tried to compile and link with the netCDF library installed by the
> system manager of my local SUN network.  It gave me an error message:
>
> gennet.f:
>  MAIN:
> xdr_enum                            ../lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_float                           ../lib/libnetcdf.a(cdf.o)
> xdr_int                             ../lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_vector                          ../lib/libnetcdf.a(sharray.o)
> xdr_u_long                          ../lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_double                          ../lib/libnetcdf.a(cdf.o)
> xdr_long                            ../lib/libnetcdf.a(dim.o)
> xdr_opaque                          ../lib/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

I think you only need to add "-lnsl" to the link command to get the Sun
XDR functions.  If you look at how any of the other netCDF programs
(ncdump, ncgen, nctest, ftest) are linked on the Sun when you build them
with "make all" and "make test", I think you'll find that they all use
"-lnsl" on Sun's to access the XDR library.  For example:

  f77 -o ftest ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf -lnsl

is used to link the Fortran test program "ftest".

Please let us know if this doesn't solve the problem.