Re: 960720: netcdf build IRIX6.2

Steve,

I just discovered this message was still in my "drafts" folder, so it
may not have gotten sent to you last week.  If you hadn't seen this
answer, my apologies for taking so long to get it sent.  If this is the
second time you've seen it, apologies also ...

Russ Rew                                            UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

>From: address@hidden (Steve Lowe)

Hi Steve,

>    I can't make it through the make in the libsrc dir.
>   Any ideas??  I'm on an SGI Max Impact running IRIX6.2.

Yes, we've recently added a workaround for this problem to our "Known
Problems with the current netCDF Distribution" document at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/known_problems.html

I've appended a test version of the problem description and solution.

 Problem: the current netCDF distribution compiles on IRIX 6.1 but not on
 IRIX 6.2. When the `configure' script checks the XDR library, it reports:

   checking XDR library for xdr_getint()... yes

 but it should get "no" for this, because SGI removed this function from a
 structure between IRIX 6.1 and 6.2. Later this error is manifested when
 compiling:

         c89 -c -O  xdrposix.c
 cfe: Error: xdrposix.c, line 312: 'x_getint' undefined; reoccurrences will
 not be reported.
             xdrposix_ops.x_getint = xdrposix_getint;
         ----------------^

 This is fixed in the next release, but for now try the following
 workaround:

     1.Delete the following lines from the "configure" script:

          irix64)
              echo "$ac_t""yes" 1>&6
              HAS_XDR_GETINT=1;;

     2.Run "make clean".
     3.Run the "configure" script with whatever arguments you used before.
     4.Run "make all", then "make test", then optionally "make install".

 The "fixed" configure script will no longer work for IRIX 6.1, so if you
 need to build the package on that OS, you should save the old version.