960712: NetCDF::xxxx constants donn't work

John,

In the above message you wrote:

> I've just started using Perl 5 and the netcdf perl module, so these
> are probably stupid questions, but here goes anyway...
>
> I'm having a problem with the macro constants that are supposed to
> be available.  For example, a line from one of my scripts that
> should read
>
>       NetCDF::attput ( $ncid,
>                        $varid,
>                        "long_name",
>                        NetCDF::CHAR,
>                        $long_name );
>
> produces the error "ncattput: Unknown type 0".  I have to resort to
> replacing the NetCDF::CHAR parameter with its value from "netcdf.h",
>
>       NetCDF::attput ( $ncid,
>                        $varid,
>                        "long_name",
>                        2,
>                        $long_name );
>
> which works ok.  This happens in other situations.  For example,
> it seems to choke on "NetCDF::GLOBAL" as well.
>
> One more thing, the "NetCDF::open" command doesn't want to accept
> either "NetCDF::WRITE" or "NetCDF::RDWR".  Substituting the constant
> 1 instead seems to do it.
>
> I've been able to get around all these little difficulties so far
> by substituting the actual constant values, but I'm just curious
> someone else has had trouble with this and what they did to fix it.
> Thanks.

I've never seen this problem and I use constants of the form
NetCDF:xxxxx to test the NetCDF-Perl implementation.  Take a look at the
file perl/test.pl in the distribution.  It uses, for example, the
constant NetCDF::GLOBAL.

Do you have the statement `use NetCDF;' at the top of your scripts?

If you can't get your scripts to work with these constants, would you
please send me a minimal script that illustrates the problem and I'll
see what I can do.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>