960605: installing netCDF on Ultrix DECStation

Dear Ling (or is your given name `Tang' but you've reversed them for
Americans?)

In the above message you wrote:

>       Thanks so much for your help. This time I installed a GNU C
> compiler and set macro as CC=gcc CXX=g++, and prefix=/usr/local
>
> the configure script worked well, to my surprise, the script detected
> a compatible XDR, it says "XDR implementation ...OK", and use system
> xdrposix, I think it must pick that from cygnus package of GNU.

The configure script will reject the system's XDR implementation if it's
broken or if the compiler fails to build the test program.  So, it might
have been the compiler that cause the rejection.

> As for make all, it is still working (I attached make all log file)
> , for make test, It is basically working except for fortran part,
> the corresponding messages are:
>
> ----------------------
> making `test' in directory /usr/local/netcdf-2.4.2/src/fortran
>
> ./fortc -L . -O ultrix jackets.src > jackets.c
> gcc -c -g -I../libsrc  jackets.c
> ar rcuv ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a jackets.o
> a - jackets.o
> ranlib ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> ./fortc -L . -O ultrix common.inc > netcdf.inc
> ./fortc -L . -O ultrix ftest.src > ftest.f
> f77 -c  ftest.f
> f77 -o ftest ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf
> ld:
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(jackets.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(globdef.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(error.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(file.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(dim.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(var.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(putget.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons

Hmm.  I've never seen the above messages before.  Seems odd in light of
the fact that the compilations went OK.  The only thing I can think of
is that the GNU C compiler might not supply the system's linker (ld(1))
with everything the linker expects.

> ./ftest
> *** Testing nccre ...
> *** Testing ncddef ...
> *** Testing ncvdef ...
> *** Testing ncapt, ncaptc ...
> *** Testing ncclos ...
> *** Testing ncvpt1 ...
> *** Testing ncvgt1 ...
> *** Testing ncvpt ...
> *** Testing ncopn, ncinq, ncdinq, ncvinq, ncanam, ncainq ...
> *** Testing ncvgt, ncvgtc ...
> *** Testing ncagt, ncagtc ...
> *** Testing ncredf, ncdren, ncvren, ncaren, ncendf ...
> *** Testing ncacpy ...
> *** Testing ncadel ...
> *** Testing fill values ...

The above shows that the FORTRAN interface works OK.

> returning to directory /usr/local/netcdf-2.4.2/src
> -------------------------
>
> all other parts (C and C++) are OK.
>
> after install and clean , I compiled an fortran file with linking flag
> of
>
> f77 abc.f  -L/usr/local/include -lnetcdf
>
> I still get warning info of:
> ld:
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(jackets.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(globdef.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(error.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(file.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(dim.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(var.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
> ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(putget.o): does not have gp tables for all it's sectons
>
> but the a.out file is still created, I don't know if it will affect
> the real result or not, I will test a small case to see if it
> works. My question is are those info normal for installation

Like I said, I've never seen those messages before.  Since the `make
test' in the `libsrc/' subdirectory also went OK, I'd ignore the
messages.

> By the way, when I port netCDF to a Sparc-5 running SunOS, everything is OK!
>

> Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

My pleasure.

Please let me know if you have any further problems.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>