960531: xdrtest.c: 225: failed assertion `xdr_vector(xdrs, (char *)encounts, count, szof, (xdrproc_t)xdr_enum)'

Philip,

In the above message you wrote:

>       Thanks for your reply.  The configure script follows:
>
> Script started on Thu May 30 17:33:19 1996
> # rm config.cache
> # CC=gcc ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for catman... catman
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /usr/local
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /usr/local
> checking for C compiler... gcc
> checking type of operating system... osf1
> checking type of machine... alpha
> checking for ranlib... ranlib
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for f77... f77
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for c++... c++
> checking for yacc... yacc
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... gcc -M
> checking whether cross-compiling... no
> checking size of int... 4
> checking size of long... 8
> checking type of nclong... int
> checking endianess... little endian
> checking type of netlong... int
> checking type of internal netlong... int
> checking for XDR header-file... -I/usr/include/rpc
> checking for XDR library...
> checking for xdr_long in default library... yes
> checking XDR implementation... configure: warning: problem with
> system-supplied XDR: using own

As I suspected, the above line indicates that the configure script
decided that the XDR implementation was faulty.  This hasn't happened on
any other Alpha/OSF1 system.  We need to determine why.

Would you please do the following:

    1.  Edit the file `configure':  change the following line:

            echo $ac_n "checking XDR implementation""... $ac_c" 1>&6

            echo $ac_n "checking XDR implementation""... $ac_c" 1>&6
            set -x              # added line

        Also, change the following lines:

            fi
            fi
            rm -fr conftest*

                echo $ac_n "checking type pointed to by inline XDR function""...
            $ac_c" 1>&6

            fi
            fi
            exit                # added line
            rm -fr conftest*

                echo $ac_n "checking type pointed to by inline XDR function""...
            $ac_c" 1>&6

    2.  Re-execute the configure script and send me its output and the
        file `config.log that it creates.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>