Re: 960411: netcdf installation

Dear Mike Notaro,

> To: address@hidden,
> From: address@hidden (Mike Notaro)
>
>       Hello.  I am having trouble installing the netcdf library on my sun.
> I typed the following :
>
> setenv OS=sunos
> configure --prefix=/home/notaro/netcdf-232pl2
>
> These two commands lead to some files being checked and created.
> After that, I am unsure of the next steps ( I am having some trouble
>       understanding parts of the INSTALL text ).
> Don't I have to run some make commands?   Whenever I try that, it say it
> can't find make.rules.
>       What commands should I type to finish installing this library.  I need
> it installed so that I can run the program ncks ( NC Kitchen Sink ) which uses
> netcdf commands and deals with netcdf files.  I was unable to fully understand
> what to do from the INSTALL file.

Please do the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Remove the file `config.cache' if it exists.

    3.  Unset the environment variable OS.

    4.  Execute the following command:

            ./configure --prefix=/home/notaro/netcdf-232pl2

        Trap all output and send it to me.

    5.  If the above fails, then send me the file `config.log' and stop
        here.

    6.  Execute the command `make'.  Trap all outout and send it to me.

    7.  If the above fails, then stop here.

    8.  Execute the command `make test'.  Trap all output and send it to
        me.

    9.  If the above fails, then stop here.

    10.  Execute the command `make install'.  Trap all output and send
         it to me.

    11.  If the above fails, then stop here.

    12.  Execute the command `make clean'.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>