Re: 960322: Distribution terms for netCDF library

Hi Richard,

You wrote, regarding our netCDF software distribution conditions:

> The requirement that causes problems is this one:
>
>       Further, the user agrees to credit
>      UCAR/Unidata in any publications that result from the use of this
>      software or in any product that includes this software.
>
> This causes a problem for several reasons:
> Would you be willing to change this requirement into a request?  If
> the US is most important to you, this would not be much of a change in
> practice.

As you suggested, we have now changed the wording in question to:

       Further, UCAR requests that the user credit
      UCAR/Unidata ...

Our intellectual property office has agreed to this change, we have changed
the on-line COPYRIGHT document, and we have announced the change in the
"What's New with NetCDF" web page at

  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/whatsnew.html

We have also made a similar change in some our other freely-available
software packages.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Regards,
Russ Rew

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu