Re: 960402: Problem building netcdf

>From: address@hidden (Desiderius CP MASALU)
>Subject: Problem building netcdf

Hi,

> Kindly help!  I down-loaded netcdf from kiawe.soest.hawaii.edu with gmt. I am
> having problems with installation as follows:
>
> I am asked to supply the following information:
>
> >./configure: The following variables need values.  They may be set in
> >the environment or in the file CUSTOMIZE.  Variables referring to
> >executable programs needn't be set if the relevant directory is added to
> >PATH.  In any case, ./configure should probably be rerun.  See file INSTALL
> >for details.
>
> >VARIABLE     MEANING                    EXAMPLE
> - --------     -------                    -------
> >OS           operating system           sunos
> >AR           library utility            /bin/ar
> >AR           library utility            /bin/ar
> >[infinity:/export/home/gmt/netcdf-232pl2]
>
> I am using Solaris 2.5 on my machine. Kindly advise which parameters should I
> supply for OS and AR variables.

The configure script should be able to figure out the appropriate values
for these variables when it is run.  I just ran the configure script on a
Solaris 2.5 system, and it worked without producing an error message,
setting OS to 'sunos' and AR to 'ar'.

Make sure your PATH environment variable is set to search in the standard
places for commands like ar.  If you have Sun's C compiler installed,
this is probably /usr/ccs/bin.  Here's what I get when I invoke the command
to "which ar" to report where the "ar" command is found:

  $ which ar
  /usr/ccs/bin/ar

If you get something different, you may want to investigate whether your C
compiler and utilities are properly installed.  You should be able to use a
different compiler than Sun's (for example, gcc), but you will still need to
have utilities such as "ar" installed somewhere.

Also, the 2.3.2 version of netcdf that is distributed with GMT is fairly
old, although it still works OK on Solaris 2.5.  You may want to try the
more recent netcdf version 2.4.1 that is available from

  ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z

which has also been tested successfully on Solaris 2.5.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu