960322: netcdf config problems

>From: address@hidden (michele petrie)

Michele,

>Here is the output you requested.  I have until June to get this up
>and running.  I hope we can resolve it soon.

OK, see the end of this message for more information.

> [...]
>checking the installation exec-prefix... /seven/cdf/netcdf-2.4.1
>checking for cc... (cached) cc
>checking type of operating system... sunos5
>checking type of machine... sun4
>checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
>checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) cc -E
>checking the C preprocessor... works
>checking for f77... (cached) f77
>checking for CC... no
>checking for CC... no
>checking for cxx... no
>checking for c++... no
>checking for g++... no
>checking for gcc... no
>checking for yacc... (cached) yacc
>checking for neqn... (cached) neqn
>checking for tbl... (cached) tbl
>checking for ar... (cached) ar
>checking for makeinfo... no
>checking for tar flags... -chof
>checking for dependency generation mechanism... cc -xM
>checking whether cross-compiling... (cached) no
>checking size of int... (cached) 4
>checking size of long... (cached) 4
>checking type of nclong... long
>checking endianess... big endian
>checking type of netlong... long
>checking type of internal netlong... long
>checking for XDR header-file... -I/usr/include/rpc
>checking for XDR library...
>checking for xdr_long in default library... yes
>checking XDR implementation... ok
>checking type pointed to by inline XDR function... netlong
>checking XDR library for xdr_getint()... no
>checking which XDR module to use... xdrposix
>checking for function prototype... yes
>checking for working const... checking for variadic function support... yes
>checking for strerror... (cached) yes
>checking compiler options for IEEE arithmetic...
>checking for size of block buffer... 8192
>checking for float.h... (cached) yes
>checking C header file <stdlib.h> for function malloc()... declared
>checking for package version... 2.4
>checking binary distribution directory... /home/ftp/pub/binary/sun4-sunos5
>creating ./config.status
>creating Makefile
>creating xdr/Makefile
>creating libsrc/Makefile
>creating fortran/Makefile
>creating cxx/Makefile
>creating ncgen/Makefile
>creating ncdump/Makefile
>creating nctest/Makefile
>creating doc/Makefile
>creating port/master.mk
>creating port/Makefile
>creating libsrc/local_nc.h
>libsrc/local_nc.h is unchanged
>expanding `include's in file `Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `xdr/Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `libsrc/Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `fortran/Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `cxx/Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `ncgen/Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `ncdump/Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `nctest/Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `doc/Makefile'
>expanding `include's in file `port/master.mk'
>expanding `include's in file `port/Makefile'

First, some explanation.  This output is telling us that the xdr routines
_were_ found in the C runtime library (the line:

checking for xdr_long in default library... yes

tells us this the xdr_long fuction was found).  This indicates that the
links from then on should be OK.  Why they are not is, for right now,
beyond us.

Here is the workaround: define the environment variable LD_XDR to reference
the xdr library.  For example:

setenv LD_XDR '-lnsl'

Then rerun the configure script and rerun 'make all', etc.

Tom Yoksas