Re: 960306: NetCDF - measured and modelled data

> From: address@hidden (Andrew Hunter)

Hi Andrew,

> Hi. I'm working for WNI Science and Engineering (ex. Oceanroutes) in
> Perth, Western Australia. I obtained your email address from Greg
> Williams of our Melbourne office, he thought you may be able to help
> with some enquiries about NetCDF. We're looking at using NetCDF for our
> standard data file format to replace out present mish-mash of different
> file formats.
>
> Unlike other offices within this company (WNI) we work mostly with
> oceanographic and meteorological data for offshore design engineering
> and some environmental impact management work. We process data in
> various forms from straight from the instrument to derived parameters
> and modelled data.
>
> I've read much of the NetCDF user guide and it seems to offer a lot of
> features useful to our purposes. What I'm interested in finding out
> about is other organisations working in similar field as ourselves or
> with similar data. In particular would you know of any netCDF
> definitions for oceanographic data or measured meteorological data.
> We'd also be interested to know of any NetCDF utilising software in this
> field.

If you have a World Wide Web browser, there's lots of information available
on oceanographic data in netCDF form, and much software available for
oceanographic and meteorological data also.

Several of the oceanography projects that are using netCDF are mentioned in

  <URL:http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/usage.html>

with links to web pages of the associated organizations for further details
on their projects.

There are a set of conventions for the standardization of NetCDF files
sponsored by COARDS, the "Cooperative Ocean/Atmosphere Research Data
Service" (five organizations) available from

  <URL:http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html>

In addition, there are a separate set of PMEL-EPIC netCDF conventions
documented at

  <URL:ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/Conventions/PMEL-EPIC/Conventions>

Freely available and commercial packages that may be used for manipulating
or displaying netCDF data are described with WWW links for more detail in

  <URL:http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/software.html>

For oceanographic and meteorological data, you should probably at least
consider the freely-available packages CDRtools, DDI, DODS, EPIC, FAN,
FERRET, FREUD, GMT, Ingrid, LinkWinds, SciAn, and Zebra, all described in
the document referenced above.  All of 12 the commercial or licensed
packages listed in the above document may also be of interest.

We have just released the first new version of netCDF since June 1993, and a
much-improved User's Guide is now available.  For details, see

  <URL:http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/>

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu