960209: GNU gcc on Sun

John,

In the above message you wrote:

>      I have installed netcdf-232pl2 on a Sparc 5 using the sun supplied
>      compilers. No problems, passes all the tests, log looks clean.

You should install netcdf-232pl4 instead of netcdf-232pl2: it's more
recent.

>      The question is installing on ANOTHER Sparc 5 using GNU gcc 2.5.8.
>      with:
>
>      GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/d1/local/usr/GNU/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.3/2.6
>      .0/

I just built netcdf-232pl4 on our SunOS 4.1.4 system with the following
configure script settings:

    $ CC=gcc CXX=g++ ./configure

It went flawlessly.

>      This took a while to ferret out. (Everyone assumes that everyone knows
>      about GNU gcc). If you know what site has the GNU gcc manual, I would
>      appreciate that.

The GNU C manual comes with the GNU C distribution as a `TeXinfo' file.
The GNU `info' utility is used to view the on-line manual.
Alternatively, the manual can be printed via tex(1).

>      I fixed up CUSTOMIZE to have CC='gcc -traditional' and to get the
>      beast to compile without complaining about prototype mismatches, I set
>      CPPFLAGS='-DNDEBUG -DNO_HAVE_PROTOTYPES' just like the sun compiler
>      version.

I wouldn't use these settings: I'd use the ones I mentioned.

>      The result passes the test suite.
>
>      However I have a message in the log file that goes like:
>
>      ncgenyy.c: In function 'yylex':
>      In file included from ncgen.y:681
>      ncgenyy.c:191: warning: interger overflow in expression
>
>      Attached to this e-mail is the log and CUSTOMIZE files.
>
>      Warning have always come back to kill me at a later date.

You shouldn't get this warning with the settings I mentioned.

Please let me know if this helps.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>