960202: netcdf-2.4-beta6 cross compiling error Irix5.3

Vincent,

In the above message you wrote:

> I am trying to install netcdf-2.4-beta6 on a SGI runnig IRIX 5.3, and I
> get the following:
>
> [spode:root:/usr/local/netcdf-2.4-beta6/src] 70 % configure
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /usr/local/netcdf-2.4-beta6
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /usr/local/netcdf-2.4-beta6
> checking type of operating system... irix5
> checking type of machine... sgi
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking for C compiler... cc
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for f77... f77
> checking for CC... CC
> checking for yacc... yacc
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... cc -M
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes
> checking size of int... configure: error: can not run test program while
> cross compiling
>
> Could you give me some advice on how to proceed?

Interesting problem.  Haven't seen it before.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command `make clean'.  Don't worry if it can't
        execute or fails.

    3.  Ensure that the file `config.cache' does *not* exist.

    4.  Execute the configure script.  Trap the output and send it to
        me.

    5.  Send me the file `config.log'.

    6.  If #4 fails, then stop here.

    7.  Execute the command `make'.  Trap the output and send it to me.

    8.  If the above fails, then stop here.

    9.  Execute the command `make test'.  Trap the output and send it to
        me.

    10.  If the above fails, then stop here.

    11.  Execute the command `make install'.  Trap the output and send
         it to me.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>