960124: building netCDF applications on SunOS

>From: address@hidden (Mike Notaro)

Mike,

>Hello.  I am having some difficuly with netcdf. I am using a sunOS system
>and a fortran compiler.  When I run my data converting program that uses
>the netcdf library, it states:
>  library -lnetcdf : not found.

This says that the loader is not finding your netCDF library

>I think my library was not set up properly.  I did change the msoft.mk
>file to OS2=1.  When I type
>  make all
>it says,
>  can't find "make.rules"
>  library: not found.

The file msoft.mk is designed for MSDOS and OS/2 systems using the Microsoft
C 6.0 and Fortran 5.1 compilers.  Since you are on a Sun, you should not
be attempting to use this file.

>What should I do?

Please refer to makefile that is in the distribution.

>I just want to be able to run my data converting fortran
>program which uses netcdf library subroutines but apparently the library
>is not working.

Hmm... The only time you will need a library is when you are building
an executable.  I assume that this is what you are trying to do.  Is
this correct?

>Could you give me the commands that I must type to properly set up the
>library and correct this problem?

After I know exactly what you are trying to do, I can give you the help
that you need.

Tom Yoksas