951228: netCDF & OS/2

>From: address@hidden (James Hannigan)

Jim,

>I was referred to you by Steve Emmerson.  I need to transfer data files up to
>several megabytes (binary) to and from AIX and OS/2.  Our local data guru
>(Dan Packman) suggested netCDF.

Transferring only or using on both?

>So I am considering compiling netCDF on
>OS/2 v3 and I am trying to scope out any potential pitfalls before I get
>started.  Steve said you have already done this compilation.

Yes, but with very specific compilers.

>I have the
>WATCOM v10.5 32bit compilers for C and FORTRAN and they say there make utility
>is very similar to UNIX.  Most of the applications would use the FORTRAN
>implimentation on netCDF.  Here are some questions:
>
>.      Do you know if the make files need to be significantly edited?

Probably yes.  The make file we have for PCs assumes use of the Microsoft
Fortran 5.1 and C 6.0 compilers (these are now ancient).

>.      Is there anything problematic with the HPFS?

Shouldn't be.

>.      Is there DLL implementation of the libraries in OS/2?

No.

>.      Am I asking for trouble?

Could be :-).  Actually, I think that I have a message from someone
at the University of Washington that did exactly what you are proposing to
do.  I can dig up my email on this and get you the information if you
are still interested.

>I'ld appreciate any advice you might have.

Please let me know if you want to pursue the building of netCDF on OS/2
(which version, by the way?) using the Watcom compilers.

Sorry for the long delay in this reply, but my email inbox is literally
overflowing.