960103: msdos-netCDF

>From: address@hidden (Jim Hines (awdnsun) 472-6708)

Jim,

>I downloaded the msdos-netcdf to my msdos machine.
>I also had a simple netcdf-fortran program (jim.for) that ran
>on my Unix box. (moved this down to my msdos machine also)
>
>I then did the following:
>
>fl /c /FPi jim.for
>(worked ok)
>
>then did:
>
>link /NOE jim+jackets+fslen,,,netcdf.lib+xdr.lib;
>
>and got:
>
>Microsoft (R) Segmented-Executable Linker  Version 5.15
>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1991.  All rights reserved.
>
>Temporary file c:\ln018159 has been created.
>
>jim.obj(jim.for) : error L2029: 'NCVGT1' : unresolved external
>jim.obj(jim.for) : error L2029: 'NCOPN' : unresolved external
>jim.obj(jim.for) : error L2029: 'NCVPT1' : unresolved external
>jim.obj(jim.for) : error L2029: 'NCVID' : unresolved external
>jim.obj(jim.for) : error L2029: 'NCCLOS' : unresolved external
>jim.obj(jim.for) : error L2029: 'NCDID' : unresolved external
>
>There were 6 errors detected

These entry points are contained in jackets.obj.

There is nothing major wrong with your link line.  The line used in the
netCDF make file for Microsoft C/Fortran (MSOFT.MK in the netcdf23\fortran
directory) uses the flags:

 /st:10000 /nod /noe

The link line for the Fortran test routine included in the netCDF distribution
then looks like:

link /st:10000 /nod /noe ftest.obj jackets.obj fslen.obj,,xdr.lib netcdf.lib
llibce.lib llibfore.lib

This presupposes, of course, that the files jackets.obj and fslen.obj
exist in the current directory.  Were these files in the same directory as
jim.obj when you tried to link?  If not, you have to either explicitly list
where there are or copy them to the same directory.

>NCVGT1 and NCOPN etc are routine i'm calling from jim.for
>thought these subroutine would be in netcdf.lib....

No, the C routines are in netcdf.lib.  The Fortran entry points are contained
in jackets.obj.

>also using the following 2 libraries I think...
>LLIBCE.LIB    (for C)
>LLIBFORE.LIB  (for fortran)

No problem there.

>Do you have any idea on this problem

Please let me know if the problem is _not_ one of jackets.obj not being
in the same directory as jim.obj.

Tom Yoksas