951220: netCDF-perl install problems

Barry,

In the above message you wrote:

> > The perl(1) utility that the configure script found and that the
> > makefiles use was `/usr/local/bin/perl'.  Is this the same as
> > `/usr/bin/perl'?
> >
> Yes - it is a link to /usr/local/bin/perl
>
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         19 Oct  7 19:17 /usr/bin/perl ->
> /usr/local/bin/perl

So much for the longshot.

> I ran the make test again, anyway with the same result
> bjerknes{root} 53: make test
>
> making `test' in directory /usr/local/misc/src/perl/netcdf-perl-1.0.4/src/perl
>
> /usr/bin/perl -I./blib -I./blib -I/usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris
> -I/usr/local/lib/perl5 test.pl
> Can't load './blib/auto/NetCDF/NetCDF.so' for module NetCDF: ld.so.1:
> /usr/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: symbol not found: HDgetspace:
> referenced in ./blib/auto/NetCDF/NetCDF.so at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/DynaLoader.pm line 450.

What the devil is `HDgetspace'?  It doesn't look like a operating system
symbol.  It looks more like a perl(1) symbol.

I don't know what the problem is.  The build procedure used by
the makefile in the perl/ subdirectory appears to be incorrect.
Unfortunately, that procedure is decided upon by the perl(1) package and
is out of my control.

Try the following (start from scratch, slightly differently):

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute a `make distclean'.

    3.  Ensure that the directory perl/blib/auto/NetCDF exists:

            mkdir -p perl/blib/auto/NetCDF

    4.  Ensure that the file perl/blib/auto/NetCDF/.packlist exists:

            touch -p perl/blib/auto/NetCDF/.packlist

    5.  Set some environment variables to reference the *installed* netCDF
        package, e.g.

            setenv CPP_NETCDF   -I/usr/local/netcdf/include
            setenv LD_NETCDF    "-L/usr/local/netcdf/lib -lnetcdf"

    6.  Re-execute the configure script.  Trap the output and send it to
        me.

    7.  Execute the command `make'.  Trap the output and send it to me.

    8.  If the above succeeds, then execute the command `make test'.
        Trap the output and send it to me.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>