951219: netcdf-2.4-beta5.tar.Z

David,

In the above message you wrote:

> I have been using netcdf-232pl4 which I collected from
> ftp.unidata.ucar.edu and it works OK. I was told that the new version
> 2.4 handled the conversion of CRAY to IEEE more efficiently and so I
> collected a copy of netcdf-2.4-beta5.tar.Z from the same site and tried
> to build it on a CRAY C90 running UNICOS 9.0.
>
> Here's what happened:
>
> % configure
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking for fill-value usage... new usage
> checking the installation prefix... /ptmp/mickles/netcdf-2.4-beta5
> checking the installation exec-prefix... /ptmp/mickles/netcdf-2.4-beta5
> checking type of operating system... unicos
> checking type of machine... cray c90
> checking for ranlib... :
> checking for c89... c89
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... /lib/cpp
> checking the C preprocessor... works
> checking for f77... no
> checking for cf77... cf77
> checking for CC... CC
> checking for neqn... neqn
> checking for tbl... tbl
> checking for ar... ar
> checking for makeinfo... no
> checking for tar flags... -chof
> checking for dependency generation mechanism... cc -c -Wp,-M
> checking whether cross-compiling... yes

The last line above indicates that the configure script thinks that
you're attempting to cross-compile.  It shouldn't think this and I'm not
surprised that the build fails from this point on.

We have to determine why the configure script thinks you're
cross-compiling.  Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Execute the command `make clean' (this might not work because
        the makefiles might not exist -- don't worry about it).

    3.  Remove the file `config.cache'

    4.  Echo the the variable $cross_compiling.  If it's set to `yes',
        then that's the problem.  Unset the variable.

    5.  Edit the file `configure'.  Find the line that contains the string
        `checking whether cross-compiling'.  Insert the command `set -x'
        before that line and the command `set +x' before the later line that
        contains the string `checking size of int'.

    6.  Execute the configure script.  Trap the output and send it to
        me.

> Am I missing something or is this a UNICOS 9.0 issue?

I think there's something in your environment that's causing the
configure script to think that you're cross-compiling.  I don't think
this is strictly a UNICOS 9.0 issue.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>