[no subject]

Hi Dave,

> I sent you a note in august that said the following
>
> > I have been  trying to use netCDF on a Dec alpha-axp system.  I
> > can get things compiled and linked, but the byte order for 32 bit
> > reals is swapped when moving between other machines(Dec vms, Solaris)
> > and the axp.  I Dec vms file I have is read with the float bytes
> > transposed
> > "cdab" instead of "abcd".
>
> What I left out is our machine is an alpha-vax.  Are there any vms
> scripts or .mms files for building the netcdf library?

There are "make.com" scripts for VMS in the netcdf-2.3.2 distribution, and
instructions for using them at the end of the INSTALL document that comes
with the distribution:

       Use the make.com files in each source directory, and build in the
       subdirectories in the following order:  [.xdr], [.libsrc], [.nctest],
       [fortran.vms], [.ncdump], [.ncgen].  Note that, by default, the
       netCDF library will be installed in [-.lib], the C and FORTRAN
       include files will be installed in [-.include], and the programs
       `ncgen' and `ncdump' will *not* be installed but will be found in
       their respective subdirectories.

The xdr/HTONL.MAR and xdr/NTOHL.MAR assembly sources were supposed to take
care of the byte order on VAX/VMS systems, but these probably won't work on
Alpha/OpenVMS systems.

> Would you recommend using 2.4beta?

We'll be working on the port to Alpha/OpenVMS systems next month and have it
working in 2.4 before the final release.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu