Re: netcdf beta5

Hi Denise,

> I was looking through the mail archive for help with ncgen -f and found a
> reference to the new beta 5 version of netcdf which contained a new
> version of ncgen. I grabbed netcdf-2.4-beta5 and find that when I try to
> 'make all' I get:
>
> making `all' in directory /kevin1/dlw/netcdf-2.4-beta5/src/c++
>
>         c++ -c -I../libsrc netcdf.cc
> In file included from netcdf.hh:16,
>                  from netcdf.cc:12:
> ncvalues.hh:13: generic.h: No such file or directory
> ncvalues.hh:14: iostream.h: No such file or directory
> ncvalues.hh:15: strstream.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
> (Actually, I don't think I need to make the c++ directory anyway.)

This looks like a problem with your C++ installation, since these
include files should be available to every C++ compiler.  If you want to
skip the C++ interface, I think setting the CXX symbol to "" (the empty
string) before you run the "congfigure" script should cause the C++ stuff to
be ignored.

> Incidentally, the problem I was having with ncgen -f is that I get a
> 'fortran statement too long' as in:
>
> * leave define mode
>       call ncendf(cdfid, iret)
> * store X
>       corner(1) = 1
>       edges(1) = 360
>       data X /0.5, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5, 7.5, 8.5, 9.5, 10.5, 11
>       ....etc
>       ....etc
>       6.5, 357.5, 358.5, 359.5/, line 62: FORTRAN statement too long: 03.5,
>       204.5, 205
>
> I thought I could fix this by going into my cdl file and editing the data
> X statement so that all lines were less than 70 columns long, but that
> did not fix the problem.

Although ncgen can handle huge CDL files and variables when it's generating
netCDF files (the "-b" option), it cannot generate Fortran programs with
huge variables, because static data initialization is inadequate for
representing huge arrays.

If you send a CDL file that demonstrates the problem, I'll see if I can find a
way to fix it.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu