951121: netCDF installation on Sun SPARC 5/Solaris 2.4 at ETH Zurich

Florian,

In the above message you wrote:

> I'm Florian, a geophysics PhD student with the ETH Zurich and I am sitting
> at a Sun Sparc5 running Solaris 2.4.
>
> While trying to install GMT I ran into the netcdf software. After some
> problems to get the c-compiler running properly (I am a total beginner
> at this) I finally managed, but there occured some error-messages
> while running 'make all'.  All were about a 'va_start: argument
> mismatch'. The logfile is attached.
> Is this serious trouble or a silly question??

It's neither a silly question nor serious trouble.  You may safely ignore
the warning.

> Finally when I ran 'make test' I got the following message:
>
> %make test
>
> f77 ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf -o ftest
> Undefined                     first referenced
>  symbol                           in file
> xdr_enum                            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_float                           ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_int                             ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(iarray.o)
> xdr_u_long                          ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_double                          ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_long                            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_opaque                          ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ftest
> *** Error code 1

It would appear that the makefile isn't referencing the XDR library
correctly.

Try the following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Delete the file config.status.

    3.  Set the variable LD_XDR in the environment to `-lnsl', e.g.

            setenv LD_XDR -lnsl

    4.  Re-execute the configure script.  Trap the output and send it to
        me if something goes wrong.

    5.  Check the value for LD_XDR in the file config.status, e.g.

            grep LD_XDR config.status

        It should be `-lnsl'.

    6.  Re-execute the command `make test'.  Trap the output and send it
        to me if something goes wrong.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>