951117: netCDF

Thomas,

In the above message you wrote:

> I have tried to install netCDF on our Sun Sparc station20 with solaris 2.4
> and encountered some errors, I am not sure about. I need netCDF as a
> prerequisite for the GMT (Generic Mapping Tools) installation.
>
> >From running the 'make test' command, I can see that basically the
> sudirectories xdr, libsrc, and nctest went fine; the program, however,
> encountered some errors in the fortran subdirectory (f77 compiler exists
> obviously).
> May be you can help me out in evaluating the seriousness of these errors,
> what their likely causes are, or whether I can disregard them since we
> also have a c-compiler on this machine.
>
> Thank you very much for your time and help
>

> Best regards
>

> Thomas Finkbeiner
>

> P.S. I append the error messages here so that it may be easier for you to
> understand what's going on:
>
> making `test' in directory /home/fink/GMT/netcdf-232pl2/fortran
>
> ./fortc -L . -O sunos jackets.src > jackets.c
> cc -c -I../libsrc -DNDEBUG -Dconst= -O jackets.c
> /usr/ccs/bin/ar rcuv ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a jackets.o
> a - jackets.o
> ar: writing ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a
> ./fortc -L . -O sunos common.inc > netcdf.inc
> ./fortc -L . -O sunos ftest.src > ftest.f
> f77 -c ftest.f
> ftest.f:
>  MAIN ftest:
>       tncacpy:
>       tncadel:
>       tncagt:
>       tncapt:
>  BLOCK DATA:
>       tncddef:
>       tncinq:
>       tncredf:
>       tncvdef:
>       tncvgt:
>       tncvgt1:
>       tncvpt:
>       tncvpt1:
> f77 ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf -o ftest
> Undefined             first referenced
>  symbol                  in file
> xdr_enum              ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_float             ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_int               ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(iarray.o)
> xdr_u_long            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_double            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_long              ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> xdr_opaque            ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a(array.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ftest
> *** Error code 1

The above indicates that the build process isn't referencing Solaris' network
support library, which contains the XDR functions.  I suggest the
following:

    1.  Go to the top-level source directory.

    2.  Remove the file `config.cache'.

    3.  Define the variable LD_XDR as `-lnsl'.  You can do this either
        in the environment or in the CUSTOMIZE file.

    4.  Re-execute the configure script.  Trap the output in case
        something goes wrong in order to send it to me.

    5.  Re-execute the command `make all'.  Again, trap the output.

    6.  Re-execute the command `make test'.

Please let me know if the above works.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>