950906: Convex installation

Dear P S Swathi,

> Subject: Convex installation
> To:       address@hidden
> From: address@hidden (P S Swathi)

In the above message you wrote:

> Dear Dr. Rew,

Dr. Rew is busy putting together a new netCDF distribution.  I'm handling
netCDF questions in the interim.

> Thank you for the help with the Convex installation. All the tests
> passed except the fortran/test. The reason was that the byte range
> in Convex is -128 to 127 while the values of bvalidrg was set to
> 1 and 250 in ftest.f. When I set the values to -128 ans 127, the
> test came through OK. But I wonder if there's any internal setting
> within netCDF which may cause problems later.

As you've noticed, their is something of a problem in FORTRAN with byte
values and whether or not they are signed.  This should not, however,
cause problems with the netCDF library: you should be able to use it
as intended.  Just remember that a FORTRAN BYTE is unsigned on some
machines and signed on others.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>