Re: 950830: netCDF build failure on Solaris 2.4 using gcc 2.7.0

>From: Don Hayward <address@hidden>

Don,

> Here is the gcc output (which shouldn't exist).  I guess there's a
> problem with the gcc installation.  Thanks again for your help.
>
> don
>
> x.c: In function `foo':
> x.c:7: `__builtin_va_alist' undeclared (first use this function)
> x.c:7: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> x.c:7: for each function it appears in.)

`__builtin_va_alist' is a special built-in function that is part of the Sun
SPARCompiler compilation system.

This error message indicates that gcc is using the Sun /usr/include/stdarg.h
rather than the gcc-specific stdarg.h header file, which should have been
installed in some place gcc looks for it.  For example, on my Sun, it's in
/usr/local/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.3/2.6.3/include/stdarg.h, and
it starts out:

    /* stdarg.h for GNU.
       Note that the type used in va_arg is supposed to match the
       actual type **after default promotions**.
       Thus, va_arg (..., short) is not valid.  */

Where it gets installed is determined when gcc is built and installed, but
in any case, gcc is supposed to know where to look for such
compiler-specific include files.

Perhaps whoever installed gcc on your system merely copied the gcc
executable, without also copying the necessary auxiliary header files to
where gcc expects them.

--Russ

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu