Re: 950716: Test Failed

Hi Nalneesh,

> I have installed NetCDF before on another IBM machine. I was
> installing it on IBM 320 when the make test failed. I recieved
> the new version of netcdf via anonymous ftp on the August 15 1995.
>
> Here is the message that I get:
>
> making `test' in directory /potomac2/netcdf/xdr

> ncattget: attribute "TITLE" not found
> Assertion failed: file cdftest.c, line 393

> Can you help me!

Yes, we have observed a problem with the optimizer in the C compiler of AIX
3.x. The default for our configure script is to specify optimization by
using the "-O" compiler flag, but that causes the netCDF library to be built
incorrectly under AIX 3.x, with the symptom that "make test" will fail even
though there are no compile or link errors when building from source.

A workaround is to build the netCDF library with CFLAGS="" (or "-g")
explicitly, by setting the environment variable CFLAGS to "" or "-g" before
invoking configure, or by using one of the other methods suggested in the
INSTALL file to prevent the use of the "-O" flag for compilation.

The specific file that is incorrectly compiled with "-O" is libsrc/string.c,
so another workaround is to recompile that file without "-O".

Delete the ncgen and ncdump executables before rebuilding, so they will get
rebuilt using the new library.

NOTE: This is no longer a problem on AIX 4.1.2.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu