Re: 950608: netCDF on CRAY

>From: lombardi emanuele <address@hidden>

Hi Emanuele,

> I'm installing netCDF 2.3.2 on my Cray YMP-EL with UNICOS 8.0.3.1
> After doing the library libnetcdf.a i'm not able to link these routines:
> NCOPN, NCCLS,.....
> Infact an errour occurs in testing the directory netcdf-232pl2/fortran
>
> When I do
>       cd netcdf-232pl2/fortran
>       make test
> m4 command in script fortc produces an empty jackets.c file
> giving the following messages
>       m4:-:529 can't open file
>       divert(1)
>
> On the other hand, m4  works fine on sunos where the same testing is OK.
>
> Could you please help me?

The problem is that, at least on some CRAY systems, m4 won't accept the "-"
argument to mean read from standard input. Here are two workarounds that
CRAY sites have found successful:

   1. Manually get around the m4 problem by using a temporary file. In
      netcdf/fortran/fortc, replace the lines

             sed -f $LibDir/fortc1.sed $InFiles |
                 m4 $LibDir/common.m4 $LibDir/$OS.m4 - |
                 sed -f $LibDir/fortc2.sed

      with

             sed -f $LibDir/fortc1.sed $InFiles > /tmp/fortcin.m4
                 m4 $LibDir/common.m4 $LibDir/$OS.m4 /tmp/fortcin.m4 |
                 sed -f $LibDir/fortc2.sed

      delete the old netcdf/fortran/jackets.c file, and rerun the "make
      all". Or

   2. Build the necessary netcdf/fortran/jackets.c file for UNICOS on a
      different platform, using the command

        ./fortc -L . -O unicos jackets.src > jackets.c

      then copy the resulting jackets.c back to the CRAY and run make
      again. Since the modification time on this jackets.c should be later
      than on jackets.src, the fortc that invokes the Cray m4 won't be used.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu