950525: netCDF installation bugs

In the above message you wrote:

> 1) the customizations from the CUSTOMIZE file didn't work properly; I had
>    to customize paths etc. from the command line.
>    This occured during the installation of the NetCDF library itself
>    as well as when installing ncopers.

Thanks for the feedback.  I believe I've now fixed this and it'll be in
the next release.  (I now now more about autoconf(1) than I ever wanted
to.  ;-)

> 2) When installing ncopers-1.1.6, the following problem occured:
>    I am using gcc as C-compiler and 'gcc -E' as preprocessor command.
>    (This is what 'configure' guessed, too.)
>    I already had NetCDF 2.3.2 PL 2 successfully installed.
>    The '*.F' files from the ncbarne package include 'netcdf.inc' via the
>    preprocessor command '#include <netcdf.inc>'. Now, 'netcdf.inc' has a
>    Fortran comment line (line 52) like this:
>
> c     don't fill vars on endef and increase of record (X'100')
>
>    The apostrophe in "don't" caused the preprocessor (that obviously
>    didn't recognize this line as a comment) to complain
>    about an 'unterminated character constant', giving exit code 1
>    and thus causing the resulting '.f' file not to be compiled.
>    Replacing "don't" by "do not" would solve this problem. It took me
>    a bit of time to find out this rather silly (sorry!) error.
>    I don't know if this is a specific problem with the GNU prprocessor or
>    if it occurs with other preprocessors, too.

This is a silly error that occurs in several preprocessors.  I've
removed the offending apostrophe from the netCDF include file,
netcdf.inc.  It'll be in the next release.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>