Re: 950523: netcdf build problem on DEC Alpha 2100

Hi John,

> I am using a DEC Alpha 2100 with OSF/1 2.03B and gcc 2.6.3 and the
> 2.3.2 version of netcdf.
>
> the C part configures, builds, installs and test OK with either the
> native C compiler or gcc.
>
> When I try to do the c++ part it complains about a data type conflict
> for ncbyte which is defined as a char in the C part and as an unsigned
> char in the C++ part.  It will compile without complaint if I set
> ncbyte to uchar in netcdf.h.
>
> When I run the C++ test, however, it exits with the error:
>
> ncendef: xdr_NC_array: loop
>
> How can I fix it?

There are a couple of patches to netcdf 2.3.2 for the C++ interface that you
should apply.  These are:

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/2.3.2-patch3

and

    ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/2.3.2-patch4

that will bring the software up to version 2.3.2pl4.  We are working on
version 2.4 which will incorporate these fixes and other enhancements, but
for now it's necessary to follow the directions at the beginning of the two
patch files above and then rebuild the software.

If this doesn't fix the problem, please let us know.  You can find out about
these patches and other netCDF developments on the "What's New with netCDF?"
WWW page at the URL:

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/whatsnew.html

Thanks for reporting the problem.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu