Re: 950516: NetCDF Called from C++

Hi Glenn,

> What is the status of development of a NetCDF library callable
> from C++ ?  Can you point me toward any documentation?

Yes, an experimental C++ interface is available with the current netCDF
source release, from ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z.  It
is in the c++/ subdirectory of the source distribution.

If you will be getting the source distribution, make sure you also get two
additional patch files from the same FTP directory, for fixes and
enhancements to the C++ interface:

 2.3.2-patch4
 2.3.2-patch3

Documentation is available in the form of two files:

   nc.txn       preliminary class documentation for the experimental C++
                interface, in Texinfo form.
   nc.info      preliminary class documentation for the experimental C++
                interface, in info form, as generated from the Texinfo
                source file.  The commented example program nctst.cc may
                also be useful for understanding the interface

I've appended the README file from that directory, in case you need
additional information.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

This is an early release for a prototype experimental implementation of a
C++ interface for the netCDF data access library.  It presumes you already
have netCDF installed.  The files are:

   netcdf.hh    the C++ interface
   netcdf.cc    the implementation of the interface, on top of the current
                C library interface
   nctst.cc     a test program for the interface that creates a netCDF file
                and then dumps out its contents in ASCII form to stdout.
                This example may also be helpful in understanding how the
                interface is intended to be used.
   example.c    example of C code needed to create a small netCDF file
   example.cc   analogous example of C++ code needed to do the same thing
   Makefile     makefile for building nctst
   ncvalues.hh  interface for auxilliary classes of typed arrays needed by
                netCDF interface; fairly simple
   ncvalues.cc  implementation of auxilliary classes of typed arrays needed by
                netCDF interface
   nc.txn       preliminary class documentation for the experimental C++
                interface, in Texinfo form.
   nc.info      preliminary class documentation for the experimental C++
                interface, in info form, as generated from the Texinfo
                source file.  The commented example program nctst.cc may
                also be useful for understanding the interface
   README       this file