Re: FSL grid storage working group

Hi Joan,

>    A working group was formed at FSL to look into the problem of storing
> grids.  Currently we use netCDF to store all our data that we make
> available to our internal users.  We use grib to transmit gridded data to
> both outside and internal users.  Because of the ever increasing size of
> the gridded data, lab management has asked our group to look into all the
> issues concerning storing gridded data.
>
>   Now, the reason I'm writing you is to ask for your help.  Dave Faulker
> is aware that we are looking into this problem and has given me permission
> to contact you.
>
>    We are aware that UNIDATA is eventually planning on a compressed
> version of netCDF.  We would like to find out what plans you may already
> have and specifically what direction you are going in.  Also, if you are
> interested in grid storage in general, you may participate in more of our
> discussions if you like.
>
>    So, I was wondering if you could meet with us maybe next week or the
> week after and give us an update on compressed netCDF.  The group only
> consists of 5 people so that we may focus our efforts.  Jeff Pedigo is one
> of the members.  Would you please get back to me and let me know if you
> could meet with us?

Yes, I'd like to attend a meeting where these issues are discussed.  I do
have some ideas and preliminary plans to incorporate semi-transparent data
packing into the next major major release of netCDF, and would welcome the
opportunity to present our preliminary plans and get some feedback.  I think
a short presentation on plans for data packing and the issues involved would
only take about 10 or 15 minutes.

Here are times I can't meet in the next couple of weeks, so if you want to
schedule any other time and let me know, that would be fine.

        Mon,  1 May     all afternoon
        Tue   2 May     2pm - 4pm
        Wed   3 May     4pm - 5pm
        Thu   4 May     3:30pm - 5pm
        Mon   8 May     10am - noon
        Tue   9 May     2pm - 4pm

In particular, my schedule is free for Fri this week and Wed, Thu, or Fri
next week.

--Russ