Re: netCDF instalation on SGI

Hi Yuval,

> I tried to install netCDF on Silicon Graphics, however make install
> stopped, because the syntax of "install -c ..." doesn't work. I have
> checked with the man pages and there's no -c option for the install
> command. Also -f dir must be specified. How should I fix the make files,
> or have I done anything wrong in the configuration?

We tested the netCDF installation on IRIX 4.0 which used a BSD-style
install, but with later versions of IRIX, the flags on the install utility
changed. To get around this, you need to define the INSTALL configuration
variable before building netCDF from the source distribution. How to do this
is explained in the installation documents. INSTALL should be defined as

     /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst

which, according to the IRIX 5.2 man pages is an install that uses BSD-style
arguments. Then rerun the 'configure' script and redo the make all.

Russ Rew                                           UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                              http://www.unidata.ucar.edu