Re: 950315: GMT

Hi,

> We have successfully installed GMT on a Sun and PCs, but
> having a problem trying to install it on this SGI.
>  .../lib/libnetcdf.a is being installed as a directory, not
> a file and this causes the 'make all' in the  .../src for
> compiling GMT to blow up with a bad file magic number.
> Had to edit configure to be '/sbin/install -dir' instead of
> '/sbin/install -c' because the -c option is not supported on
> SGI's.  Any suggestions??  Sure appreciate any help you can give.

Here's an answer from our netCDF Frequently Answered Questions list at

    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html

14. How can I build netCDF for SGI under IRIX 5.x?

     We tested the netCDF installation on IRIX 4.0 which used a BSD-style
     install, but with IRIX 5.2, the flags on the install utility
     changed. To get around this, you need to define the INSTALL
     configuration variable before building netCDF from the source
     distribution. How to do this is explained in the installation
     documents. INSTALL should be defined as

          /usr/bin/X11/bsdinst

     which, according  to the  IRIX 5.2 man  pages is  an install that  uses
     BSD-style arguments. Then rerun the  configure script and redo the make
     all.

In our next release, we use "cp" instead of "install", which gets around
such problems.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000