Re: netCDF on the Cray J-90

Hi David,

> Thought I'd pass along my experience with netCDF on the Cray J-90 under
> Unicos 8.0.3.0, in case you get inquiries from anyone else regarding it.
>
> It wouldn't quite compile "out of the box", so first I tried using a
> binary copy of a library compiled on an EL/94.  EL binaries run on the
> J-90, but since this didn't actually work, I suspect that EL binaries
> can't be linked with things compiled on the J90.  In any event, this
> didn't work.
>
> The step which didn't work was when netCDF was creating "jackets.c" in
> the fortran subdirectory.  At the point where it was executing the
> following line from fortc:
>
> sed -f ./fortc1.sed  jackets.src | m4 ./common.m4 ./unicos.m4 - | sed -f
>  ./fortc2.sed
>
> It failed with the message:
>
> m4:-:529 can't open file
>
> I messed around with it a bit, but couldn't find the problem.  This works
> on an EL, so it's certainly not out of the question that the basic problem
> is lies with the J-90.  To get around it, I just copied the EL's version
> of "jackets.c" over to the J-90, and compiled away.  It seems to work for
> my test cases, and passed the "make test".

Thanks very much for passing on this info.  We will undoubtedly get asked
about this in the future, so I'll just forward your message when that
happens.  I suspect a problem with m4, since we have seen several m4
problems with similar symptoms on new platforms.  Often just using GNU m4
instead of the vendor-supplied m4 fixes the problem.

--Russ