Re: (Fwd) Simple question WRT netCDF

Bill,

> -> > I would like to be able to write a generalized hyperslab for each
> -> > element of the AMIE array.  Am I trying to do the impossible or can
> -> > netCDF support this level of abstraction?  I'll have a look at the
> -> > ncputrec, etc routines.
> ->
> -> Maybe.  ncvarputg() is only capable of writing a block of data values
> -> of a single type,
>
> Sounds like a vestige of the Fortran paradigm.

Yes, since one of the requirements of netCDF is that it support a Fortran
interface and permit full access to data written with any netCDF interface
from Fortran programs, it necessarily includes several vestiges of the
Fortran data model.

> -> so you will either have to make multiple calls or use
> -> ncrecput().  I believe you can only use ncrecput() for this if Ntotal is
> the
> -> unlimited dimension in your netCDF file.
>
> Is it possible to emulate a virtual hyperslab (i.e. a block of data
> containing mixed types) with a series of ncrecput() calls?  Or should I
> use HDF or CDF or worse yet, write my on?  Ackpht! ;-)

A single ncrecput() call can write a block of data containing mixed types,
so a series of of ncrecput() calls can probably do what you are attempting.
I have to qualify that with "probably" because I don't know all the
constraints you are under, for example, whether it's possible for you to
make "Ntotal" the record dimension for your dataset.

--Russ