Re: Mathematica and netCDF

Hi Nuzhet,

> Is there a Mathematica interface to netCDF? I would like to read and write
> netCDF files within Mathematica.

I haven't heard of such an interface, although I think Mathematica makes it
relatively easy to provide such external interfaces, and the result would be
useful.  There is a package named FERRET that claims to provide a
"Mathematica-like interface", but I doubt that is what you are looking for.
In case you don't already know about it, though, here's a description taken
from http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/utilities.html:

    FERRET is an interactive computer visualization and analysis environment
    designed to meet the needs of oceanographers and meteorologists
    analyzing large and complex gridded data sets. It is available by
    anonymous ftp from abyss.pmel.noaa.gov for a number of computer systems:
    SUN (Solaris and SUNOS), DECstation (Ultrix and OSF/1), SGI, VAX/VMS and
    Macintosh (limited support), and IBM RS-6000 (soon to be released).

    FERRET offers a Mathematica-like approach to analysis; new variables may
    be defined interactively as mathematical expressions involving data set
    variables. Calculations may be applied over arbitrarily shaped
    regions. Fully documented graphics are produced with a single
    command. Graphics styles included line plots, scatter plots, contour
    plots, color-filled contour plots, vector plots, wire frame plots,
    etc. Detailed controls over plot characteristics, page layout and
    overlays are provided. NetCDF is supported both as an input and an
    output format.

    Many excellent software packages have been developed recently for
    scientific visualization. The features that make FERRET distinctive
    among these packages are Mathematica-like flexibility, geophysical
    formatting (latitude/longitude/date), "intelligent" connection to its
    data base, special memory management for very large calculations, and
    symmetrical processing in 4 dimensions. Contact Steve Hankin,
    address@hidden, for more information.

--Russ