Re: question about netcdf

Hi Lisa,

> I have question about netcdf:
>
> I would like to get the netcdf.inc file, so I use the find to get this file.
>
> rgps1% find . -name "netcdf.inc" -print
> ./fortran/msoft/netcdf.inc    =====> I BELIEVE USE FOR PC
> ./fortran/vms/netcdf.inc      =====> I BELIEVE USE FOR VAX
> ./ncgen/netcdf.inc            =====> I BELIEVE USE FOR UNIX
>
> When I went to ncgen directory, the netcdf.in was missing.
> I was ftp and zcat the netcdf last 2 weeks. Can you tell me where I can
> get this file or use the PC or VAX.

The `netcdf.inc' file is supposed to be generated as part of the process of
compiling and installing the netCDF software.  Since its contents depend on
the platform (hardware and operating system) on which you install it, there
is no "UNIX version" of `netcdf.inc', but instead a different version for
each platform, and the platform-specific version is constructed when the
netCDF Fortran interface is built.

Whoever was responsible for building and installing netCDF on your machine
may have specified that no Fortran interface should be built.  In that case,
the `netcdf.inc' file would never have been constructed and you would need
to build it again, starting with the `configure' step where you specify
which Fortran compiler to use to indicate that you want the Fortran
interface.

After the `configure' step, which builds the Makefiles, the `make all' step
compiles the library and also constructs the `netcdf.inc' file in the
netcdf/fortran/ subdirectory.  The `make test' step actually tests the
Fortran interface, including the `netcdf.inc' file.  It also copies the
`netcdf.inc' file into the ncgen directory to test whether `ncgen -f'
generates a correct Fortran program.  The subsequent `make install' step
should install the generated `netcdf.inc' file into the same directory as
the C include file `netcdf.h' is installed.

The other `netcdf.inc' files you found for PCs and VMS should not be used on
Unix and are included in the distribution only because MSDOS and VMS lack
the necessary tools to generate the `netcdf.inc' file when the netCDF
software is built and installed.

If your source directories in which the netCDF software was built are still
available and if `make clean' wasn't invoked to delete all the object files
and temporary files, you might be able to save some steps by just changing
to the netcdf/fortran/ subdirectory and invoking

    make netcdf.inc

If that doesn't work, you'll need to start from the `configure' step, as
described in the `netcdf/INSTALL' document.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000