Re: 950206: Installation Problems

Hi Kevin,

> I've recently tried to install netCDF under my home directry as
> /home/kandersn/netcdf-232pl2/ and when I try to compile the
> example.c code in ~/netcdf-232pl2/c++/, I get the following
> ld: Undefined symbol for the functions called in the example.c routine.
> This means the functions haven't been installed correctly.  I
> followed the INSTALL directions and still am having trouble.
> Please help.

The C++ interface is experimental and so is not compiled or installed by
default as part of building the netCDF library and utilities.

To build it, you should first get and apply patches 3 and 4 to the netCDF
release (available via anonymous FTP as files 2.3.2-patch3 and 2.3.2-patch4
from ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/).  Then rebuild the netCDF
library beginning with the `configure' step (this is important; it's not
enough to just re-make it).  After `make all' and `make test' show the
library is working OK, change to the c++ directory, look at the README file,
and build the experimental C++ interface with `make all'.  You can test it
from that directory with `make test'.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000