Re: 950202: netCDF HDF build problem

Hi Jason,

> I am trying to install mfhdf part of the HDF 4.0 (alpha version), which
> provides interface between netCDF and HDF. My computer is a SGI INDIGO
> 4000 running IRIX 4.0.5F.
>

> I compiled hdf part of the HDF package first with success. Then I ran
> configure program in mfhdf directory. Finally, I make all. The error
> messages I got are listed below. Because I am not a C programmer, I can
> not make out what the error messages mean. Please help.
>

> =========================  Compiling Log File ===========================
>

> making `all' in directory /disk2/people/jyli/HDF4.0/mfhdf/port
>
>       ar rcuv libudport.a uddummy.o
> s - creating symbol hash table. Wait...
> s - done
>
> returning to directory /disk2/people/jyli/HDF4.0/mfhdf
>

> making `all' in directory /disk2/people/jyli/HDF4.0/mfhdf/xdr
>

> returning to directory /disk2/people/jyli/HDF4.0/mfhdf
>

> making `all' in directory /disk2/people/jyli/HDF4.0/mfhdf/libsrc
>
>       cc -ansi -c   -DNDEBUG -DHDF -DNO_STRERROR -O -I/disk2/people/jyli/HDF4
> > .0/mfhdf/../hdf/include -DIRIS4 -cckr cdf.c
> ccom: Error: cdf.c, line 1837: no automatic aggregate initialization
>          char FUNC[]="hdf_read_xdr_cdf";
>       --------------^
> ccom: Error: cdf.c, line 1837: illegal lhs of assignment operator
>          char FUNC[]="hdf_read_xdr_cdf";
>       ---------------------------------^
> ccom: Error: cdf.c, line 1908: no automatic aggregate initialization
>          char FUNC[]="hdf_xdr_cdf";
>       --------------^
> ccom: Error: cdf.c, line 1908: illegal lhs of assignment operator
>          char FUNC[]="hdf_xdr_cdf";
>       ----------------------------^

Sorry, but these errors come from the HDF version of netCDF that is
maintained by NCSA.  The lines that are causing these errors don't occur
anywhere in the Unidata netCDF source code, so I have no idea what the
surrounding context is.  The immediate error message could be eliminated by
replacing the

          char FUNC[]="hdf_read_xdr_cdf";

declaration with

          static char FUNC[]="hdf_read_xdr_cdf";

but the error may be just a symptom of some other problem with the code or
build process.  I'd recommend that you pose the problem to the NCSA
programmers responsible for developing the new HDF software.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000