Re: 950125: compiling on CRAY C90

In the above message you wrote:

>Hi, two questions for you.  The first one is just about
>installing the netcdf.  The second one is about installing
>the m4 utility.
>
>here is the output for the first question.
>******
>sn4021% make all
>        ./fortc -L . -O unicos common.inc > netcdf.inc
>        ./fortc -L . -O unicos jackets.src > jackets.c
>
>m4:-:529 can't open file
>divert(1)
>        cc -c -I../libsrc -DNDEBUG -O jackets.c
>cc-127 cc: WARNING File = jackets.c, Line = 1
>  No declarations appear within the compilation unit.
>
>TOTAL WARNINGS DETECTED IN jackets.c: 1
>        ar rcuv ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a jackets.o
>r - jackets.o
>*******
>
>could you looked the msg. again to see if the problem is
>indeed caused by "m4 utility".  It seems that ":-:" might
>be the problem.  C90 does have m4 and the system administrator
>seems know little about it (maybe I didn't ask right peroson).

The problem is the m4 utility. As I said, I've seen this before on a
C90. At that time, the other fellow and I stepped through the fortc
script line-by-line, discovered the m4 invocation that was causing
problems, and verified by manually executing the command that the
problem did, indeed, lie with m4.

The problem is that m4 is being given a file specification of `-',
meaning standard input.  As you can see from the error message, however,
m4 is interpreting this specification as `-:529', which is incorrect
behavior.

> [...]
>
>here are the outputs.
>************
>sn4021% configure --prefix=/wd5/wd51/wd51mc
>creating cache ./config.cache
>checking for mawk... no
>checking for gawk... no
>checking for nawk... nawk
>checking for gcc... cc
>checking whether we are using GNU C... no
>checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
>checking whether make sets $MAKE... yes
>checking for ranlib... :
>checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
>checking for AIX... no
>checking for POSIXized ISC... no
>checking for minix/config.h... no
>checking for cc option to accept ANSI C... no
>checking for function prototypes... no
>checking for working const... yes
>checking for limits.h... yes
>checking for memory.h... yes
>checking for siginfo.h... no
>checking for string.h... yes
>checking for unistd.h... yes
>checking whether cross-compiling... no
>checking for ANSI C header files... yes
>checking return type of signal handlers... void
>checking for size_t... yes
>checking for mkstemp... no
>checking for sigaction... yes
>checking for sigaltstack... no
>checking for sigstack... no
>checking for sigvec... yes
>checking for strerror... yes
>checking for tmpfile... yes
>checking for working alloca.h... no
>checking for alloca... no
>ecking for working alloca.h... no
>checking for alloca... no
>checking whether alloca needs Cray hooks... yes
>checking for _getb67... yes
>checking stack direction for C alloca... 1
>checking for vprintf... yes
>checking for strtol... yes
>checking ecvt declaration... yes
>checking if stack overflow is detectable... no
>checking if changeword is wanted... no
>checking if malloc debugging is wanted... no
>updating cache ./config.cache
>creating ./config.status
>creating Makefile
>creating doc/Makefile
>creating lib/Makefile
>creating src/Makefile
>creating checks/Makefile
>creating examples/Makefile
>creating config.h
>sn4021% make
>No suffix list.
>        for subdir in doc lib src checks examples; do \
>          echo making all in $subdir; \
>          (cd $subdir && make CC='cc' CFLAGS='-g' LDFLAGS='' LIBS=''  pre
>fix='/wd5/wd51/wd51mc' exec_prefix='/wd5/wd51/wd51mc'  bindir='/wd5/wd51/
>wd51mc/bin' infodir='/wd5/wd51/wd51mc/info' all) || exit 1; \
>        done
>making all in doc
>No suffix list.
>making all in lib
>        cc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I.  -g regex.c
>cc-8299 cc: LIMIT File = regex.c, Line = 2448
>  Insufficient memory is available for compiler to continue.
>Make: "cc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I.  -g regex.c": Error code 1

It would appear that you need to talk to your system administrator to
see why the C compiler couldn't compile the file `lib/regex.c'.  We've
had no problems compiling this file on many, many other platforms
(including a CRAY Y-MP).

You might try going into the lib/ subdirectory and executing the above
compilation command manually.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>