950120: netCDF

In the above message you wrote:

>Dear Support Persons,

>       We have successfully compiled the netcdf library on our 32 bit
>SGI platforms.  We are making the transition to 64 bit computing with
>our Challenge L machine running IRIX6.0.  I'e been fairly successful
>in recompiling code and libraries but I've been stopped with libnetcdf
>so far by the requirement for linkage with a 64 bit library that
>doesn't seem to exist in a 64 bit format, namely libsun.a.
>       The makefile rightly complains about not being able to find
>it.  I'm going to be in contact with the SGI people to see what they
>have to say about this library but I am equally interested in learning
>what netcdf support can tell me about the transition to 64 bit
>environments, SGI in particular.  Here's the point at which the make
>stopped.  Are you aware of any solutions to this problem?  Thanks.
>- - --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

>making `all' in directory /ClimateGroup/network/p2i/netcdf-232pl2/ncdump
>
>cc -O ncdump.o vardata.o dumplib.o ../libsrc/libnetcdf.a -lsun -lm -o ncdump
>FATAL 9: I/O error (-lsun): No such file or directory
>cc ERROR:  /usr/lib64/cmplrs/ld64 returned non-zero status 1
>make: *** [ncdump] Error 1
>*** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
>make: fatal error

The `-lsun' specification is to resolve xdr(3) references under IRIX 4.*
-- it is apparently unneeded under IRIX 5.* and IRIX 6.*.  I suggest
manually editing the Makefiles to remove this reference.  This is fixed
in the next release.

Be aware that I'm currently working on the port to IRIX 6.0.1.  I would
be interested in anything you discover.

--------
Steve Emmerson   <address@hidden>