Re: 950109: make test failed

Paul,

> After doing a "configure" on the netcdf distribution
>
> unsetenv CC   (so cc is used as opposed to CC)
>
> I do "make all"
>
> that works fine.  Then I to "make test", I get the listing at the end
> of this message.

I just tried to reproduce this problem on a Solaris 2.3 SPARCstation using
the same version of the netCDF distribution and a slightly more recent version
of the C and Fortran compilers (3.01), and the `configure', 'make all',
`make test' all worked fine.  I'm sure the difference has nothing to do with
the compiler version, as our netCDF software built fine on that platform
on all the previous versions of the SunSoft C compiler we had (including 3.0).
The only problems we see are a few compiler warnings about

    semantics of ">=" change in ANSI C; use explicit cast

but in particular, we don't see any of the errors you see in running `nctest':

> *** Testing ncdimrename ...   ok ***
> *** Testing ncvardef ...      *** test_ncvardef: unwritten short not FILL_SHO
> > RT
> *** test_ncvardef: unwritten long not FILL_LONG
> *** test_ncvardef: unwritten float not FILL_FLOAT
> *** test_ncvardef: unwritten double not FILL_DOUBLE
> *** test_ncvardef: unwritten double not FILL_DOUBLE
> FAILED! ***
> *** Testing ncvarid ...               ok ***

Did you set any other configuration parameters in a `CUSTOMIZE' file or use
a non-default value for any other configuration parameters on the command
line or in the environment when you invoked `configure'?  I think to
diagnose this problem, we'll have to look at the config.sys file produced
when you ran `configure'.

> f77 ftest.o -L../libsrc -lnetcdf -o ftest
> Undefined                     first referenced
>  symbol                           in file
> __e_wsle                            ftest.o
> __s_stop                            ftest.o
> __s_wsle                            ftest.o
> __f77_exit                          ftest.o
> f77_init                            ftest.o

These later undefined external errors you see from the f77 link step list
f77 run-time support routines that should have been installed with your
Fortran compiler.  The absence of these library modules seem to indicate
that f77 can't find its run-time support library.  I think you would see the
same errors in trying to link any simple Fortran program on this system,
whether it used netCDF or not.  You can verify this by trying to build the
following simple Fortran program:

      print *, "Hello, world"
      end

If the Fortran run-time support has not been correctly installed on your
Solaris platform, you can still build the netCDF library without the Fortran
interface.  Just specify the FC macro (or environment variable) to be ""
before rerunning `configure', after first running `make distclean' to start
from a clean distribution.

Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/                          Boulder, CO 80307-3000