Re: Error at (Fri Dec 16 17:20:19 PST 1994)

Hi Ted,

> While I have your attention, I was wondering whether Unidata was thinking
> of adding any extensions to netCDF for unstructured grid type data,
> perhaps along the lines of the standard implemented in IBM's Data
> Explorer (whose standard is published -- Lloyd Treinish is working for
> them now, too).  I understand that some, but not all, of these concepts
> have been implemented in the VSET package under NCSA's HDF.

That's not currently on our list.  I've seen the Data Explorer data types
and talked to Lloyd about them, but there seems to be more need in our
community for some sort of support for ragged arrays or nested
arrays and for hash-indexed arrays so data could be accessed by a key value.
We haven't had much chance to think about implementation of any of these
ideas for the last year.

> I'm working on a particular kind of composite grid technique which has,
> essentially, an unstructured mesh interface at grid intersections.  This
> has been difficult to look at in the graphics packages I have access too,
> because there doesn't seem to be a standard way to input grid connectivity
> (nodes on cells, cells on nodes, cell-neighbors, etc.).

I can't suggest any specific software that would help with this, except that
there are elaborate mesh construction and visualization software packages
associated with finite-element codes.  Some of the DOE labs have freely
available software for constructing finite-element grids for solution of
PDEs on complicated geometries.

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000