[no subject]

Forgot to CC: support-netcdf ...

To: Keir Vaughan-Taylor <address@hidden>
Fcc: +outbox
Subject: Re: 941209: gmt and and a compile failure

Hi Keir,

> I'm trying to install gmt and it gived me and error (oh no)
>
> cc -c -traditional -O -I/local/netcdf/include -DLIBDIR=\"/local/gmt/lib\"
> gmt_cdf.c
> In file included from gmt_cdf.c:41:
> /local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h:362: parse error before `char'
> /local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h:366: parse error before `char'
> /local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h:393: parse error before `const'
> /local/netcdf/include/netcdf.h:398: parse error before `const'
>
> etc etc etc
>

> necdf.h has the syntax error on const definitions such as.....
>
> extern int nccreate     PROTO((
>     const char* path,
>     int         cmode
> ));
>

> I'm using the gcc compiler and there may be a flag problem

>From what you sent, it looks like you're using cc rather than gcc.  Did you
rename gcc to be cc (that's what appears to be the case, since you're using
a "-traditional" flag).

> Got any ideas

I'm not sure what version of netCDF comes with GMT, but the 232pl2 version
we distribute from ftp://ftp.unidata.ucar.edu/pub/netcdf/netcdf.tar.Z has a
`configure' script that you are supposed to run before using make to compile
and install the netCDF library.  The `configure' script is supposed to
derive the compiler flags needed and construct Makefiles that use them.  To
do this, it requires that you tell it what compiler to use (if not "cc")
with the CC environment variable or macro in the CUSTOMIZE file, or as an
argument to the `configure' command.  For example

   CC='gcc -traditional'

or

   CC='cc -traditional'

are possibilities, if you want to try to build with gcc (or gcc renamed to
cc).  On our platform (SunOS 5.3 using gcc 2.5.4)

   CC=gcc

works fine.  I just tested this and all the tests completed successfully
with:

   % make distclean
   % ./configure CC=gcc
   % make all test

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000