Re: install on aix

Hi Ulisses,

> Did you solved your problem? I am experimenting the same exact frustration.
> Any ideas?
>
> ulisses.
>

> >Hi,
> > Can anyone help me with the following:
> >I am currently trying to install NETCDF 2.3.2 on an RS/6000 running
> >AIX V3.2.5,  XL C V1.3 and XL Fortran V2.3.
> >
> >Following the instructions in INSTALL, I first run configure
> >then make all which both run with no problems. When I run
> >make test the output is as below:
> >ncattget: attribute "TITLE" not found
> >Assertion failed: file cdftest.c, line 393
> >make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

This has become one of our Frequently Asked Questions for netCDF.  The
answer from the netCDF FAQ (available as
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf/faq.html):

12. Is there a problem with building netCDF under AIX 3.2?

   We have observed a problem with the optimizer in the C compiler of AIX
   3.2. The default for our configure script is to specify optimization by
   using the "-O" compiler flag, but that causes the netCDF library to be
   built incorrectly under AIX 3.2, with the symptom that "make test" will
   fail even though there are no compile or link errors when building from
   source. A workaround is to build the netCDF library with CFLAGS="" (or
   "-g") explicitly, by setting the environment variable CFLAGS to "" or
   "-g" before invoking configure, or by using one of the other methods
   suggested in the INSTALL file to prevent the use of the "-O" flag for
   compilation. The specific file that is incorrectly compiled with "-O" is
   libsrc/string.c, so another workaround is to just compile that file
   without "-O". This problem will be fixed in the next release.

It seems to work best if you delete the ncdump/ncdump and ncgen/ncgen
executables before rerunning make, because otherwise they don't get relinked
with the new version of the library (this seems to be a bug in the Makefile
rules).

--
Russ Rew                                                UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                          P.O. Box 3000