Re: netCDF files and data access

>From: Lihua Li <address@hidden>

Lihua,

>       Thank you for your kind help. I have solved the problems. The former
>netCDF.tar.Z file I used was cpoied from one of my colleague's account. There
>was  sth. wrong in it. So, I couldn't build the software correctly. Later on,
>I loaded netCDF.tar.Z from pub/netcdf to my account directly and fixed it
>successly.

That is good to hear.

>However,there is still a small problem: after executing 'configure'
>  and making 'all', I tried to run 'make test'. The result is :
>
>                       fort77: error    no assembly
>                       fort77: error    detected, nolink
>
>       Do I need to do sth. making the fortran77 library available in the
>same directory (netcdf software built)?

These are warnings that something didn't go right, but from these two
lines we can't say what. Could you send a copy of the complete output
from "make test"? The output of the make may be useful if you still have
that around as well.

>       At the same time,I run the gennet.f successly and obtained the
> readnet.for output. Does that mean I can run  readnet.for to read data from
>a netCDF file?

The readnet.for cannot read *any* netcdf file in the world. It can read any
netcdf that has the same variables defined in it (variable attributes) as
the file initially used by the compile of gennet.f. So, you may have a
number of netCDF files containing the same variable (say pressure), but
the data is from different measurements. The readnet.for generated by
gennet.f on one of these files will be able to read any of the other files.

If you then have a netcdf file with other variables in, you need to create
a new readnet.for by compiling gennet.f on this new file.

Towards the end of readnet.for is a section to allow you to do whatever
you wish with the variables in that fortran file.

>       The machine I used is HP workstation, UNIX system.
>       Thank you again!

You're welcome.

>From address@hidden Mon Aug 29 08: 35:34 1994
I have solved all of the problems and read the data from netCDF files
successfully. Thank you very much for your kind help. If there are any further
questions, I will contact you as soon as.
        Best regards!
Lihua