Re: ncgen from within c code

Hi Daniel,

> Anyone know if I can call ncgen during run time to create a
> netcdf file.
>
> I want the  user to be able to update the database structure
> for future nc files as new info becomes available.  I figure
> it will simpler to update the cdl files, than bother with my
> c code.

Yes, I do this in some of my programs for exactly the reasons you cite.  I
install the CDL files in a known place, and when new data comes in the
program writes it to the appropriate netCDF file if the file already exists
or first creates the netCDF file using a system() call that invokes ncgen
with the appropriate CDL file if the netCDF file doesn't exist yet.  This
seems to work fine.

--Russ