Re: Pointer to netCDF FAQ?

David,

> Thanks for the pointers.  The primary "extension" I've heard about was
> the ability to sort of access elements of multiple arrays in such a way
> as to simulate "tuples".  I saw something about "hyperslabs" in the FAQ,
> so maybe that's what I had heard about.

The tuple extension you heard about has been in netCDF since the last
release, about a year ago. It involved adding a few new interfaces:

   There are ... some new interfaces that can be used to write, read, and
   inquire about records, where a record may contain multiple variables of
   different types and shapes. Where before you had to access a record's
   worth of data using multiple calls, now you will be able to use a single
   call.

Hyperslabs are merely netCDF jargon for multidimensional orthogonal
cross-sections, which were generalized in the last release to permit
sub-sampling along one or more dimensions and mapping between the points of
the hyperslab and the memory locations of the corresponding values.

--
Russ Rew                                                   UCAR Unidata Program
address@hidden                                             P.O. Box 3000