[no subject]

>From: address@hidden (Vasudevan Ramasundar)

Ram,

>I've been facing a problem of getting IDL to read a netCDF file created by me.
>It gives a message - file is not a netCDF file - when trying to open it.
>
>The file I try to access is the data file in netCDF format created by me
>which actually is a subset of a COADS data file. I extract the relevant data
>from the original data set and write it to my new netCDF file with appropriate
>changes to the dimension sizes. I copy all the attributes as they are.

OK.

>The funny thing is that I am able to read all the data in the new netCDF file
>using the routine ncdump or the other routines/functions of the netCDF
>library. I dont know why I get a problem with the IDL function call.

It sounds like you should be able to read the data file in IDL as well.
Do you have any other netCDF files that you CAN read in IDL?

>For creating the netCDF file, I've used the sequence of function calls
>identical to that described in the netCDF user manual Section 4.1 page 33.

If you don't get complaints from ncdump, then the file should be OK.

>The netCDF library I am using is a part of the HDF release 3.3r2 and my IDL
>version is 3.5.1

This may have something to do with it, but I can't be sure.  Perhaps you should
try to use a netCDF file created outside of the HDF-netCDF environment
to make sure that you have the semantics of accessing netCDF files from
IDL correct.

>I'd appreciate if you could give me an idea as to where the problem could lie.

Tom Yoksas